Friday, September 2, 2011

Confessions of a Wedding-holic

 Hello, my name is Megan, and I am addicted to Weddings. Phew, they always say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  Unfortunately, since going cold turkey really doesn't seem like an option (hello don't they -who is they by the way?- realize I have a wedding in 7.5 months?) I suppose the only cure is powering through until the end!

    I had weddings on the brain months before the engagement actually happened.  Did you know there are lots of women that fall into this category, they even have a place/name/board for us on the wedding website.  It’s called No Ring Yet (or some form thereof).

    These particular boards generally offer advice such as: don’t worry about planning yet, you’ll change your mind over and over again; don’t worry so much about planning you’ll miss out on the fun of being engaged; and so forth.

    This is all great advice, and I admit, I probably haven’t done my best to follow it.  It’s so easy to be caught up in the planning and what I was envisioning back in September of last year (shh...) Is not even remotely still in the picture today.

    However, one thing that has not changed is the level of excitement I feel about the whole process.  It’s exciting imagining the joy and love that will be felt on that day.  I do have to admit, in the spirit of honesty, that this whole thing is a lot more stressful then I anticipated.  I mean, I went into this with 18 months to prepare (from my actual engagement day people, stop judging me!) And now I’m looking at 7.5 months and my list of things to do just keeps growing.  I thought I would have a lot more of this under control, but here’s the truth they don’t tell you on those No Ring Yet boards... there’s a lot of details that are contingent upon each other and that cannot feasibly be handled until just months before W day.

    That’s right folks, no matter how hard you try, you really can NEVER get ahead.  As Dory would say “Just keep swimming.” 

Did I ever mention how deathly afraid of these light-bulb fish I am? If I could imagine a physical form for my wedding stress, this is definitely it.  *insert shudder and cold sweats here* Picture Source
 
    It really is all you can do.  Stay on top of your endless lists, keep crossing things off knowing as you do that about 8 more will spring up (stupid Hydra effect!) But that this happens to everyone.  It helps to remember that sometimes.

    I know that 99% of the stress I feel is my own fault.  As I admitted previously, I just want so badly for all of my visions to come to life.  It’s hard for me to walk away from something once it has gotten stuck inside my vision, and it doesn’t help that I want everyone to love each detail as much as I do.  This is never going to happen, most people won’t even notice half of the details... but, a bride can hope.

Source

    I’ve gotten a bit side-tracked from my original intention in posting today, which was suppose to go more along the lines of “I sat down and revamped my to-do list today, and realized how many more things I still haven’t figured out... how did this happen I’ve been planning/researching/visualizing for almost a year?!?!” and “how the heck is it already September?” but I suppose I got the point across anyway.

    Although, to be fair, just about every big ticket category has be worked on and/or set.  Maybe not every detail has been finalized, but there are things in motion, which means that they will be. One way or the other.

    I just hope that when 2012 rolls around and things start getting crazy busy that some of those things I fell in love with, that I haven’t been able to walk away from, don’t get left in the dust.  That might be a little more depressing then I care to imagine.

    Alright, enough of my musings for the day.  Back to beefing up this to-do list (which I will unveil on my countdown post in a few days.) I mean my mama always said, if you’re going to do something do it right the first time. So why keep things off the list just so that it’s not as intimidating?  We (I suppose that’s my inner self and bride self, since not too many other people could really be in the Know) both know that they need to be done, and I don’t need a gosh danged thing sneakin’ up on me during crunch time that I forgot because it wasn’t part of the Hydra.

No comments:

Post a Comment