Friday, August 26, 2011

Favored, or... How Goldilocks' Bears Became Homeless.

I was sitting at my desk, pretending to be busily working away... (as usual) when it hit me.  We're talking mack truck slams into me and I am now Pancake Megan, hits me.  Chocolate. Covered. GummyBears (one word, because now I am excited and there's no time to waste breathing).

These little guys played a bit of a roll in the good 'ol courtship of the soon to be Mr and Mrs.  There was even a point when the store was closing and they were on sale about a dollar a bag... ahh memories.

Anyway, back to reality... Wedding Favors are a pain in the ass. There, I said it, please don't hate me.  I think there are two kinds of brides when it comes to this.  You're either really excited about finding that perfect little something for your guests to fondly remember the perfection that was your wedding, or you realize that it's (insert expletive here) expensive, you're already over budget and have spent ever last creative cell in your body on what kind of buttons the groomsmen need... if you are a B Bride, in this scenario, then the last thing you care about is thinking about a gift for your guests, who will never all be satisfied and/or will forget it.

I float somewhere in the middle, but am much more of a B then an A (probably for the first time in my life!).  I'm sorry, I can't help it and I really don't feel all that guilty about it.  However, since my brilliant idea of a week ago, I realize that I can make this fun and budget friendly.

Most wedding favors run at least a couple of bucks a person (once packaging is factored in).  This is where Bulk shopping comes into play... or in my case bulk buying squared.  Usually you only get a small number of your favors per package, but if I split up packs of the gummies.... well each bag is 8-12 people... and each bag is less then the cost of what it would take for 3 people for any other favor I looked into... are you seeing the magic here?  Drool worthy, adorable little bears at a budget friendly price.  And it's edible, which usually scores high with almost all party guests.

Okay, now that we're on the same page... here comes the crowning glory of my plan (or so I think at the time, but just go with it, I am on my soapbox already and you can't stop me now! - or did the phrase go, it's my party and I can cry if I want to? but I digress...) Baby Food Jars.


 The perfect sized mason jar (the heavily favored packaging of choice for 90% of DIY brides).  Plus, mason jars would add just the perfect touch of the vintage elegance we're going for.

I imagined something like this, but with lace instead of fabric, and no labels.

I thought I was a genius, I know people with babies, can't they just wash out the jars and hand 'em over... I mean it's not like they have hundreds of chocolate covered gummies that need homes... which means that the packaging would be pennies.

Here is where my lovely bird of an idea crashes and burns.  Epic flames.  (1) All the babies I know are onto real food. jerks. (2) Those still on the good stuff only use the plastic containers.  tree hugging hippies. Arg.  So then I did a little research... I thought I found a great solution:

Meet the hex jar.  No logo on lid, super cute, perfect size, good price... then when you calculate the shipping for 140+ of these bad boys, and after you pick yourself up on the floor while rubbing your head from where it smacked the table on your way down, you start to notice all your carefully thought out scheming has left you back where you started.  Solidly in the B category. sonofamonkey.  

Now what to do?  Do you give up on you moment of brillancy and look for yet another alternative? or do you just get more creative.  Seems I am firmly on B's boat yet again.  After so many months of having no idea what I wanted to do, I can't abandon my little chocolate friends to a perpetual state of homelessness. I must find them a suitable home, so that my guests can happily eat them one by one -without the dreaded melty chocolate hands- yes, I must do this.  Both for the happiness of my guests, and for the sake of my sanity.

So.  Here we are... Time to be brilliant again.  I think I'm ready for another moment of glory.  Just waiting on that mack truck to show me the light...

1 comment: